Since 2010, our church has been serving as a host congregation in the Family Promise of Berks County network. We are one of 18 congregations that provide food and shelter for one week, four weeks a year, to families experiencing homelessness.
The families are carefully selected to meet strong critieria for success in this transformative program. They have up to 90 days to save 80% of their income for a rental deposit and move in money. They can do this because hosting congregations provide all meals and a place to sleep each night. The families are at school, work, or a Day Center during the day. When a family graduates, they are monitored and mentored for another two years. Family Promise is unique in that it keeps family units intact, and it is the only program accepting single fathers with children. Learn more at http://www.familypromiseofberks.org .
The families are so grateful to have loving volunteers spend an evening with them in an inviting space. We hope you will join us in helping our neighbors get through a crisis.
We will host families during these weeks:
Feb. 12 - 26, 2017
- Dinner Preparers (make an entree and/or sides)
- 1 or 2 Evening Hosts (5:45 PM - 8:30 PM)
- 1 or 2 Overnighters (8:30 PM - 6 AM)
- 1 Morning Host (optional 6:00 AM - 7:00 AM)
- 1 Shopper (for breakfast and lunch foods)
- 4 Laundry Workers (wash sheets at end of week)
- 5 Set-up beds on first Sunday (8:15AM)
- 5 Pack up beds on last Sunday (7:00 AM)
Contact Carla Mannix at 610-670-8497 or email@example.com for more information.