Since 2010, our church has served as a host congregation in the Family Promise of Berks County hospitality network. We are one of 19 congregations that provide food and shelter for one week, four weeks a year, to families experiencing homelessness.
The families are carefully selected to meet strong critieria for success in this transformative program. They have up to 90 days to save 80% of their income for a rental deposit and move-in money. They can do this because host congregations provide all meals and a place to sleep each night. During the day, the families are at school, work, or the Day Center at 325 N. 5th Street in Reading. When a family is ready to graduate, Family Promise helps them move into stable housing. Family Promise is also unique in that it keeps family units intact, and it is the only program accepting single fathers with children. Learn more at http://www.familypromiseofberks.org .
The families are so grateful to have loving volunteers spend an evening with them in an inviting space. We hope you will join us in helping our neighbors get through a crisis.
We will host families during these weeks:
- Dinner Preparers (make an entree and/or sides)
- 1 or 2 Evening Hosts (5:45 PM - 8:30 PM)
- 1 or 2 Overnighters (8:30 PM - 6 AM)
- 1 Morning Host (if requested 5:00 AM)
- 1 Shopper (for breakfast and lunch foods)
- 4 Laundry Workers (wash sheets at end of week)
- 5 Set-up beds on first Sunday (8:15AM)
- 5 Pack up beds on last Sunday (7:30 AM)
Contact Carla Mannix at 610-670-8497 or email@example.com for more information.