Journey Toward Wholeness is an Action Group working to raise awareness of systemic racism and create positive change. Seeds were planted through the UU curriculum Building the World We Dream About, followed by reflective dialogue around the book SoulWork. A weekend-long anti-racism workshop and training called "Jubilee" engaged 35 members of the congregation in still deeper education and reflection. Current efforts include:
FEB. 10-11, 2017: Beloved Conversations Kick-Off Retreatfollowed by 8 small-group seminars held biweekly through the Spring 2017.
- displaying the Black Lives Matter banner on our building beginning Oct. 18, 2015
- attending vigils and protests at the Berks Family Residential Center (immigrant detention)
- building community partnerships
- working on statewide justice issues with other UUs through UUPLAN (Unitarian Universalist Pennsylvania Legislative Advocacy Network).
- monthly meetings after church, generally the 3rd Sunday of each month
Our past achievements include:
- 22 members completing a full round of Beloved Conversations seminars
- a monthly film series discussing racial and social justice issues
- connecting with community leaders during our Immigration and Race Forum on Dec. 6, 2015
See our full timeline of activities here.
For more information, please contact the church office at 610-372-0928.